Thursday, November 13, 2014

Jane Amador-Lim: making motherhood a full-time career

Jane Amador-Lim is one of the most fashion-conscious, bubbly individuals that I have the pleasure of knowing. Her smart, sexy choice of clothes, shoes, and accessories were only matched by her overflowing positivity. We used to work together in a corporation that required us to virtually deal with thousands of spoiled and demanding clients on a daily basis. Having Jane around us made that monotony bearable; she was a breath of fresh air for us in Marketing.
When she got married and gave birth to a healthy and charming little boy, Dylan, Jane had to stop working to focus on being a hands-on mom. "I decided to become a full-time mom when Dylan was 10 months old. I know that it makes a huge difference when the child receives hands-on care from the mother. That also gave me peace of mind especially nowadays when abusive nannies are very common. Most of all, I want to witness my child's milestones,” Jane said.
When asked how motherhood had changed her, Jane mentioned that it has changed her lifestyle and priorities the most. “Before, I would always go out. I love to shop, dine, and hang out with friends. When I became a mom, I just didn’t feel like that anymore. I didn’t want to stay in the malls for a long time because I’d rather spend time with my kids. Instead of buying things for myself, I would visit the children’s section and see if I can find something that the kids need,” she said.
But what inspired me the most about Jane was her commitment to exclusive breastfeeding. When she gave birth to her second son, Jadon, she realized that giving him the full benefits of breastfeeding is one of the best gifts she could give to her newborn. “I regret not being able to exclusively breastfed Dylan. After I joined a breastfeeding support group on Facebook, the Breastfeeding Pinays, I learned more about breastfeeding. They taught me a lot and gave me plenty of advice. So with Jadon, I made a commitment to never give him formula milk,” Jane said proudly. She knew that she did the right thing because she could see how happy, healthy, and smart Jadon has grown.

Jane said that one of her favorite bonding moments with the boys is watching Hi-5. “It’s very educational and their music and dance are so much fun!” she said. She also loves to play cars with them, wrestle and tickle them. Knowing the importance of engaging in physical activities and having social exposure, Jane and her husband, Shaun, enrolled their sons in Gymboree's Art Class and Play&Learn program. “Kids nowadays are so techie. They need more time to play and be physically active,” Jane observed.

Jane is a picture of a happy mother. The challenges that she had gone through did not hamper her positivity and beautiful spirit. Instead, they polished her emotionally and made her stronger, more confident, and more beautiful. She may not be the same bubbly “kikay” diva of our group anymore but she continues to inspire me nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment