Thursday, November 20, 2014

The best security blanket you can give your children

My parents celebrated their 32nd wedding anniversary recently. I am proud to say that after all these years, my parents have never lost their sweetness nor they did something to undermine the dignity, individuality, or principles of each other. My mother has always been considerate of my father's wishes and my father had always put my mother's feelings before anything else. I grew up knowing that I couldn't go to my mom or dad to override the mandate of the other. They are not shy to show us how mushy they are when around each other. Nor were they ever afraid to show us that every relationship has ups and downs and it's normal for couples, even if they are soulmates, to fight from time to time.

Their respect, trust, and love for each other made us, their five children, confident and secured. We are the testament of their love and we know that no matter what happens, our parents will always be there to protect and love us and to welcome us back if ever we should go astray.
I am now a mom myself and I realized that it's now my turn to pass on that same security blanket to my child. I want my son to grow up unafraid to fail or make mistakes knowing that his mom and dad will always be there for him no matter what. I want him to know in his heart that he is a very special individual because he was born out of our love for each other; the living testament of our commitment, trust, and infinite care and affection for each other.

I now understand why my parents are very open and vocal about their relationship. I'm sure that they knew how annoying their PDA (public display of affection) was for us way back then. But they must have understood as well how huge its effect in our lives so they kept doing it despite our disapproval. Now that I have my own family, I realized the lesson that they were trying to teach us through their example: the love of husband and wife for each other is the best security blanket parents could provide to their children. I am sharing this because there are many parents who have failed their children because they have first failed their spouse or partner. A husband and wife who truly love each other will also love their children unconditionally because they are the living manifestation of that love and union. In return, children who grow up knowing this kind of love and in this kind of home environment becomes more confident and secure, grateful, and adapts a more positive and hopeful perspective in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment