Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Why moms should take breast cancer seriously


October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. This is a very important matter for mothers because breast cancer is a disease that all women should care about, especially women who have families depending on them.

The World Health Organization identified breast cancer as the leading cancer in women globally. Three years ago, over half a million women died of from this disease. That number is continuously rising as life expectancy, urbanization, and high-risk lifestyle increases.

I never gave breast cancer a serious thought until last month. Last September 13, I had the opportunity to be part of a breast cancer lay forum organized by one of the country's premier hospitals, Asian Hospital and Medical Center. There, I was able to learn from experienced breast surgeons and oncologists and breast cancer survivors. After hearing the experiences of breast cancer survivors or "conquerors" as they call themselves, I realized that I don't ever want to undergo what the had to go through. More than fearing for my life, I dread how it will affect my loved ones, especially my very young son. If I succumb to such disease, who will take care of Milliard? Who will help him with homework or hug him when he's sad? Who will remind him when he had too much time playing with his tablet or cheer for him when he gets a perfect score in school? I know that my husband will be there to support and love me but he would be heartbroken and that's something that I never want him to experience. My mother and father, my siblings, and friends will be hurt, too. My dreams and the life that I worked so hard to build will be crushed.

According to Dr. Aldine Basa, the Head of Asian Hospital's Breast Center and one of the leading breast surgeons in the Philippines, we are at risk of having breast cancer simply by being a woman. She said that this disease cannot be avoided but we can increase our chance of survival if ever we develop breast cancer through early detection.

How do we protect ourselves and ensure that we don't get defeated by breast cancer? One is to familiarize ourselves with our breasts. Yes, getting to know the shape, color, size, and feel of our breasts through breast self-exam can increase our chance of detecting breast cancer early and save our lives. Women who are 20 years old are advised to do that once a month. When we turn 30, we should see our doctor at least once a year for annual clinical breast exam. At 40 years old, having regular digital mammogram and breast ultrasound along with breast self-exam and clinical breast exam is strongly recommended.

For more information on breast cancer, you may download the educational material prepared by the American Cancer Society.

No comments:

Post a Comment